Thursday, September 15, 2011

Capricciosa

capricciosa sign
Capricciosa sign, courtesy of Hey Ladies!

Capricciosa is a chain Italian restaurant found all over Japan. Don't be fooled by its chain status- it actually serves up tasty family style food with great service in all of its locations. Everyone I have ever brought here to eat (including my mother, brother, aunt and best friend) have all loved it and wanted to come back to it ASAP. One trip we ended up eating here every day! They gave us a "membership card" that gave us 10% off at their location which made it a great economical choice where everyone could order something they liked.

sicilian rice croquette
Rice Croquette in tomato sauce. This is an appetizer, folks!

My favorite Capricciosa location is in the OPA building in downtown Kyoto. Located at the major crossroad of Shijo and Kawaramachi, the building is located on the northwest side of the intersection (across the street from the Takashimaya Department Store). The restaurant is on the 4th floor of the building, right by the elevators. Not all of the elevators stop at the 4th floor for some weird reason. I usually take the wheelchair access one (bad, I know!) because it will stop on 4.

My menu recommendations: Sicilian-style Rice Croquette (appetizer), Pumpkin Gnocchi and Sausage in Tomato Cream Sauce (smaller entree), Spaghetti with Crab Meat in Tomato Cream Sauce (larger entree), Penne Arrabbiata (larger entree) and Lasagna Gratin Capricciosa-style (smaller entree).

pumpkin gnocchi
Pumpkin Gnocchi, my favorite.
The pizzas are decent, and the calzones look HUGE but are actually mostly puffed up with air. Garlic bread isn't really worth it you get such a small piece, but maybe I am too used to the US where they bring you a basket. There is also a risotto I heard was good. They used to serve squid ink pasta, but I don't see it on the menu these days. If you do have the chance to order it, it tastes like buttery, fishy pasta, and will turn your mouth and tongue black!

crab spaghetti
Crab Pasta, courtesy of Hey Ladies!
One of my favorite parts of the meal at Capricciosa is the after-dinner drink service. Your waiter will ask you whether you prefer coffee or tea, hot or cold and bring you your selection. It's not a huge cup, just a nice refresher after your meal. You'll have time to kick back and chat with friends, and it doesn't feel like they are rushing you out of the restaurant.

shrimp risotto
Risotto, courtesy of Hey Ladies!
 Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your blog! I lived in Tokyo fifteen years ago and used to go to Capricciosa all the time for the pumpkin gnocchi. I have craved it ever since. I wish I could get the recipe. Thank you for posting the picture, too. Sarah in Orlando

    ReplyDelete